Joe Hulm MSc (Energy Economics), Chartered Marine Technologist
Joe’s skills include:
- Offshore renewables insurance claims management and post-loss advisory.
- Offshore renewables project development from origination to financial close.
- Practical experience of risk management for marine operations.
- Corporate leadership in energy project funding decisions.
- Operating commercially within the political arena.
- Contract analysis and negotiation.
- External communication and marketing.
- 5 years of recent experience managing complex and high-value insurance claims on world-leading offshore power generation and transmission projects, initially with Lloyd Warwick International across UK/Europe and North America. Over £100 million in settled claims.
- 8 years of offshore renewable energy project development and corporate strategy with ENGIE in UK/Europe and Bluewater Energy Services in North America.
- 9 years of seagoing experience from Deck Rating to Officer of the Watch with the Royal Fleet Auxiliary, Jebsens, Lowline and the Tall Ships Youth Trust.
- Launched own start-up Ocean Energy Advisors (OEA) in Paris at COP21 as main sponsor for MSc industrial research on ‘The Insurance-Debt Nexus: Can risk policy make tidal power bankable?’ which explored the relationship between business interruption (BI) and project finance in tidal power projects.
- Fellow of the Institute of Marine Engineering, Science and Technology (FIMarEST).
Joe joined Renewable Risk Advisers from Lloyd Warwick International where he was a senior loss adjuster in their renewable energy team. His work focused on settling major and complex insurance claims across UK/Europe and North America, mostly in offshore power generation and transmission. Prior to this he led investment by International Power (now ENGIE) into what remains the world’s largest underwater power station, MeyGen in northern Scotland. He then went on to develop a tidal site in Canada, for Bluewater Energy Services alongside Minas Energy which secured the world’s highest feed-in tariff.
+44 (0)7775 522 913